Hungarian Socialist Party work
Edit Herczog has been a member of the Hungarian Socialist Workers Party, and of the Hungarian Socialist Party (MSZP) since 1989. She was elected as an MP in 1998 and also in 2002 in Fejér county. She became a member of the national presidency of the MSZP in 2007. She worked her way up the bureaucracy of the MSZP, through the Procedural Committee, in the Committee of the European Integration Affairs between 1998–2002 and in the Committee of Foreign Affairs and of Environmental Protection since 2002.
Herczog was a member of the Hungarian delegation of the European Commission since 1999. Being leader of the female committee of the socialist group in Strasbourg she was also a member of the group leadership. She took part in the work of the Hungarian-English and Hungarian-American branch of the Inter-Parliamentary Union, as vice-president.
Activities in the European Parliament
Edit has been a member of the European Parliament since May 2004. Her committee work included the Internal Market and Consumer Protection, Delegation for relations with Canada and the EU-EEA. She was a substitute for the Committee on Industry, Research and Energy and for the Committee on Budgetary Control. She was also member of the Small and Medium Enterprises Working Group and the Lisbon Strategy Working Group. She is a Presidency member of the following European organizations: European Energy Forum, European Internet Foundation, Forum for the Future of Nuclear Energy, Cangaroo Group, and the European Parliament-Business Forum.
"And Mr. Farage, I’d like to say something Hungarian quotation for you, it is good that you are here because if the monkey goes up to the tree, it is better seen how red is his popo."
The video of this performance became widely popular, partially on the basis of Farage's attack on the appointment of the top European roles of High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and President of the European Council, but also for the unusual language employed.
Edit Herczog has worked for the following:
- The University of Horticulture (food conservation engineer) (1985).
- Eötvös Loránd University (Portuguese Department) (1992).
- Hungarian Academy of Sciences (research fellow) (1985-1989).
- University of Horticulture (professor's assistant) (1989-1994).
- Unilever Hungary (1994-1997).
- ICI Hungary (1997-2004).
- National Starch Chemical (Manager, Central and Eastern European Region).
She is married to Dr Péter Szeredi. They have a daughter, Zsuzsanna and two sons, Péter and Bálint.
- mszp Hungary, Edit Herczog, Retrieved February 6, 2011. Archived December 11, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- "Edit Herczog MEP, Hungary". Europeans for Financial Reform. 2010-06-30. Archived from the original on 2011-10-09. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "European Parliament,MEP's Edit Herczog". European Parliament. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "Edit Herczog". Group of the Progressive Alliance of Socialists & Democrats in the European Parliament. Archived from the original on 2011-06-17. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "MEP>Edit Herczog" Archived 2011-07-19 at the Wayback Machine, VoteWatch, Retrieved February 6, 2011.
- "Nigel Farage reprimanded for criticising new EU president & foreign minister" YouTube, European Parliament, Retrieved February 6, 2011.
- Herczog Edit vagyonnyilatkozata - 2003. február