John Spencer-Churchill, 11th Duke of Marlborough
The Duke of Marlborough
|Member of the House of Lords|
as Duke of Marlborough
10 March 1972 – 11 November 1999
|Preceded by||The 10th Duke of Marlborough|
|Succeeded by||House of Lords Act 1999|
John George Vanderbilt Henry Spencer-Churchill
13 April 1926
Blenheim Palace, Oxfordshire, England
|Died||16 October 2014 (aged 88)|
Woodstock, Oxfordshire, England
John George Vanderbilt Henry Spencer-Churchill, 11th Duke of Marlborough, British peer. He was the elder son of The 10th Duke of Marlborough and his wife, The Hon. Alexandra Mary Hilda Cadogan. He was known as "Sunny" after his courtesy title of Earl of Sunderland.(13 April 1926 – 16 October 2014) was a
His principal seat was Blenheim Palace, in Woodstock, Oxfordshire. He was ranked 224th in the Sunday Times Rich List 2004, with an estimated wealth of £185 million. His death was announced on 16 October 2014 by Blenheim Palace.
Life and work
He was educated at Eton College and served seven years in the Life Guards, in which he achieved the rank of captain. In 1972, on inheriting the Dukedom of Marlborough, he took over the management of Blenheim Palace and the Blenheim estate.
To fund the maintenance of the house, he opened it to visitors and as a film set, and established a number of businesses, including a garden furniture company and a water bottling plant.
He was also active in a range of organisations, including the Thames and Chilterns Tourist Board and Oxford United Football Club. He served as vice-president of the Witney Conservative Association, the local party of David Cameron.
Marriages and issue
Marlborough was married four times and had a total of six children, two of whom died in infancy.
- John David Ivor Spencer-Churchill, Earl of Sunderland (17 November 1952 – 14 May 1955), a godson of Princess Margaret
- Charles James Spencer-Churchill, 12th Duke of Marlborough (24 November 1955); married, firstly, Rebecca Few-Brown on 24 February 1990. They have one son, George, and were divorced in 1998. In 2002, he married Edla Griffiths, with whom he has two children.
- Lady Henrietta Mary Spencer-Churchill (7 October 1958); married German banker Nathan Gelber in 1980 and they were divorced in 1989. They have two sons.
- Lord Richard Spencer-Churchill (born and died 1973)
- Lord Edward Albert Charles Spencer-Churchill (born 1974); married Kimberly Hammerstroem. They had a civil ceremony at Mayfair Library in London on 4 July 2018, followed by a religious ceremony at Blenheim Palace on 7 July. They have a child Phoenix Spencer-Churchill.
- Lady Alexandra Elizabeth Spencer-Churchill (born 1977)
Finally, at the age of 82, Marlborough married Lily Mahtani (née Sahni; born c. 1954–57 in Iran) 3 December 2008 in the Private Chapel at Blenheim. There were no children from this marriage.
Titles and appointments
- Earl of Sunderland (1926–1934)
- Marquess of Blandford (1934–1972)
- His Grace The Duke of Marlborough (1972–2014)
- "Duke of Marlborough dies". Blenheim Palace.
- "The Duke of Marlborough obituary". The Guardian. 16 October 2014.
- "-John George Vanderbilt Henry Spencer-Churchill, 11th Duke of Marlborough". Retrieved 21 December 2015.
- "Blandford wedding 1951". British Pathe.
- "Yvonne's Royalty Home Page: Royal Godchildren". Archived from the original on 2 May 2012. Retrieved 21 December 2015.
- "The Duke of Marlborough: Custodian of Blenheim Palace who preserved". 19 October 2014.
- "As fashion blogger Chiara Ferragni marries in Dior Couture, look back at the most stylish weddings of 2018 so far". The Telegraph. 9 July 2018. ISSN 0307-1235.
- "$1 million dresses and 12-foot cakes, the most lavish society weddings". Evening Standard. 22 May 2020. Retrieved 23 November 2020.
- Reginato, James. "The Duke of Marlborough, Savior of Blenheim Palace, Has Died at Age 88". Vanity Fair.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by John Spencer-Churchill, 11th Duke of Marlborough
- Duke of Marlborough at IMDb
- Cast of Branagh's Hamlet
- James Reginato. "Magnificent Obsession" Vanity Fair June 2011