West Providence Township, Bedford County, Pennsylvania
West Providence Township, Pennsylvania
Farm fields east of Everett
Map of Bedford County, Pennsylvania highlighting West Providence Township
Map of Bedford County, Pennsylvania
|• Total||39.03 sq mi (101.09 km2)|
|• Land||38.53 sq mi (99.80 km2)|
|• Water||0.50 sq mi (1.29 km2)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||80.61/sq mi (31.12/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
West Providence Township is located in eastern Bedford County. It surrounds the borough of Everett but is separate from it. The unincorporated community of Earlston, adjacent to Everett, is part of the township.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 38.7 square miles (100.3 km2), of which 38.2 square miles (99.0 km2) is land and 0.58 square miles (1.5 km2), or 1.29%, is water. The Raystown Branch of the Juniata River takes a sinuous path from west to east then north through the township.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,323 people, 1,339 households, and 1,027 families residing in the township. The population density was 86.4 people per square mile (33.3/km²). There were 1,590 housing units at an average density of 41.3/sq mi (16.0/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 99.01% White, 0.30% African American, 0.03% Native American, 0.09% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 0.09% from other races, and 0.42% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.39% of the population.
There were 1,339 households, out of which 27.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.5% were married couples living together, 7.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.3% were non-families. 20.2% of all households were made up of individuals, and 10.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 2.82.
In the township the population was spread out, with 21.2% under the age of 18, 7.1% from 18 to 24, 27.0% from 25 to 44, 26.7% from 45 to 64, and 18.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 97.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.4 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $32,609, and the median income for a family was $38,475. Males had a median income of $26,964 versus $18,039 for females. The per capita income for the township was $18,564. About 6.0% of families and 7.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.4% of those under age 18 and 1.1% of those age 65 or over.
Residents of West Providence Township may attend the local, public schools operated by Everett Area School District which provides full day kindergarten through 12th grade. In 2014, the Everett Area School District's enrollment declined to 1,293 students. In 2011, Everett Area School District enrollment was 1,422 pupils. The District's enrollment was 1,447 pupils in 2005-06. Everett Area School District operates: Breezewood Elementary School (99 pupils 2014); Everett Area Elementary School (448 pupils 2014); Everett Area Middle School (291 pupils 6th-8th 2014) and Everett Area High School (455 pupils 2014). The high school and middle school share a single school building.
In 2014, Everett Area School District reported a graduation rate of 87%. In 2015, the Pittsburgh Business Times ranked Everett Area School District 340th out of 493 public schools for academic achievement of its pupils. In 2012, Everett Area School District achieved Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) despite the chronic, low academic achievement at the high school.
West Providence Township high school students can attend the Bedford County Technology Center for training in the construction trades, child care, allied health careers as well as cosmetology. West Providence Township residents may also apply to attend any of the Commonwealth's 14 public cyber charter schools (in 2013) at no additional cost to the parents. Tuition is paid by the state and local school district. The cyber school provides a computer and internet access. The tuition rate that Everett Area School District must pay was $8,864.08 elementary school, $9,725.26 for middle and high school students, in 2013. By Commonwealth law, if the District provides transportation for its own students, then the District must provide transportation to any school that lies within 10 miles of its borders. Residents may also seek admission for their school aged child to any other public school district. When accepted for admission, the student's parents are responsible for paying an annual tuition fee set by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
The Appalachia Intermediate Unit (IU8) provides a wide variety of services to children living in its region which includes West Providence Township. Early screening, special education services, speech and hearing therapy, autistic support, preschool classes and many other services like driver education are available. Services for children during the preschool years are provided without cost to their families when the child is determined to meet eligibility requirements. Intermediate units receive taxpayer funding: through subsidies paid by member school districts; through direct charges to users for some services; through the successful application for state and federal competitive grants and through private grants.
There are also two private schools operating in Everett: Learning Lamp at Everett and Snake Spring Valley Christian Academy, Inc. Allegany College of Maryland operates a campus in Everett. Admission is open to West Providence Township residents.
West Providence Township community members have access to the Everett Free Library, which is located on East Main Street, Everett. West Providence Township residents may also use the Bedford County Library which is headquartered in Bedford. Through it Pennsylvania residents have access to all Pennsylvania POWER Library  online resources.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 13, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): West Providence township, Bedford County, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on February 12, 2020. Retrieved March 6, 2014.
- https://viewer.nationalmap.gov/advanced-viewer/ The National Map, retrieved 13 October 2018
- Pennsylvania State Game Lands Number 73, retrieved 13 October 2018
- Pennsylvania State Game Lands Number 97, retrieved 13 October 2018
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (December 4, 2014). "District Fast Facts - Everett Area School District".
- National Center for Education Statistics, Common Core of Data - Everett Area School District, 2011
- Pennsylvania Department of Education, Enrollment and Projections by LEA 2005-06 - 2020, July 2010
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (December 4, 2014). "Everett Area High School School Performance Profile 2014".
- Pittsburgh Business Times (April 10, 2015). "Guide to Pennsylvania Schools Statewide School District Ranking 2015".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (September 21, 2012). "Everett Area School District AYP Overview 2012".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (2013). "Charter Schools".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (2013). "What is a Charter School?".
- Appalachia Intermediate Unit 8 Administration (2015). "About the AIU".